The Idle Hour Yacht Club was originally built in 1891 by Charles Coulter and his partner and was sold in 1895 to a group of men who used it for a fishing and hunting club.
At one point is was called the Riverside Hotel and was described in the local guidebooks as "a small but cheerful and home-like hostelry, where popular prices and first-class cooking prevail in a rare combination."
In 1942 and 1943, the United States Coast Guard needed a place to train recruits and thus took over the hotel for just that. Approximately 200 troops were moved into the building and spent their days marching up and down the driveway.
In the later years, it was operated as a restaurant for many years until the early 1980's when it was closed up and in 1988 Ken Baker purchased the property, restored the building and grounds, and made it what it is today - The Idle Hour Yacht Club.
There's plenty of history in this old building, including a couple of old but friendly ghosts, and plenty more being made today.